Friday, April 25, 2014

The Hobbit Retitled

I'm not sure why this irritated me, but it has. Peter Jackson renamed the third movie The Hobbit Battle of Five Armies. He gave as his reasoning the following:

"Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo's own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we've gone along. There and Back Again felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo’s arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced--after all, Bilbo has already arrived "there" in theDesolation of Smaug. When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate."

That's strange as Bilbo isn't "back again" at all, assuming that back again means he returns to Hobbiton.  I guess if he returns to the mountain. 

I don't know. I was very disappointed in the second movie of the Hobbit trilogy…really Bombur turning into a Transformer was just too much for me . . . and I probably won't see this one. 

But carry on Mr. Jackson, carry on.

4 comments:

jeff hallett said...

I won't say I'll skip this one, but I'll probably watch it while doing something useful -- like organizing my Advanced Squad Leader counters.

Allan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allan said...

I decided to pass on Smaug when The Hobbit became an action movie. The characters changed to the point that I no longer recognized them and no longer cared. Pity, I quite liked Jackson's LotR. Except where he deviated from the original story... Why do directors always feel like they can improve on someone else's art?

Gaming Ronin said...

I enjoyed one and two, Im sure Ill enjoy three. Nothing will ever be perfect. I will not wait around for it to become so.

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...